Friday, January 7, 2011

Pink Floyd and Education

Yesterday, in class we were asked, "what is the purpose of education/schooling?" We then watched the music video Another Brick in the Wall by Pink Floyd. When the video first came on many students in my lecture hall started singing along, and if they weren't I am almost positive that they knew the words and if not had heard it once before. The singing stopped as I believe my classmates like myself were examining the images that the video portrays. It surprised me how differently I thought of this video when I was asked to re-examine it from the perspective of education. It seems like up until that point I hadn't really given it much thought, I am sad to say.

The next video we watched was of Sir Ken Robinson - 'Changing Education Paradigms'. I can't begin to summarize how much I loved this video and agree with it. However, it can be demoralizing as a pre service teacher heading into that same system. What we need to do is question how we will teach within that system. What room do we have to maneuver?

Today we were asked to form a group and developed a social action project for our community service learning component of the course. We did. That group consisted of Bella Flammia, Courtney Stiles, Ashley Fisher, Brita Goldie, Cat Costa, Elyse Snell and myself - Dawn Collins. Based on an earlier project that a few of us worked on we developed an idea. Stay tuned for more details....

No comments:

Post a Comment