Thursday, February 10, 2011

Just Let Go.

Our first day of fundraising came right after one of our lovely B.Ed profs had asked us what words we were going to try to live up to for the rest of the semester. Who knew that these words would be tested just 30 minutes after class had ended?

Setting up and preparing for this event was delightful in comparison to asking people for their donations. I stood by the table for the entire afternoon, smiling of course, but internally trying to build up the courage to ask people if they've heard about our project and finding it hard to just let go of all my apprehensions.

Knowing my own reactions to strangers asking for my donations, I had an idea of what I could expect for the day: going out of the way to avoid eye contact with these people or claiming that I didn't have any cash on me (although, this is sometimes true). What I could not anticipate was how discouraging these reactions are. For me, building up the courage to try to get people's attention was a task in and of itself. Once I began to try to let go, I figured that by I asking, people would pay attention. Well, that's not necessarily the case. As Brita wrote beautifully yesterday, we just had a taste of what those asking us for help go through everyday and I too applaud their resilience. After being ignored or overlooked a couple of times, I almost felt like throwing in the towel. But people asking for our help, whether it be on our own streets in Ottawa, or abroad have the inspiring strength to overcome this discouragement.

But, the day wasn't all discouraging! The amount of people that took the time to listen to our cause and appreciate what we were trying to achieve, whether they donated or not, was sensational. We had people not only donate money, but ask if they could donate their time or their old clothing to help our cause. What I found most amazing is the response to donating because it is something good to do; we didn't have baked goods or anything tangible that we gave after people donated, but that didn't seem to be a problem. We offered intrinsic satisfaction and I am so pleased with the positive responses we got!

And on that note of positivity, here's our wonderful group members, the masters of selling our cause on Wednesday, Courtney and Dawn.


Thanks to all who came out and took the time to listen yesterday and today. It's truly a privilege not only to be working with these fantastic students, but to have others take the time to hear us.

- Elyse 

No comments:

Post a Comment